Wednesday, April 7, 2010

This Week In The News: In A Galaxy...wait My Living Room?

0 comments
This week in the news we have several newsworthy events.  We have a new announcement from George Lucas, the iPad has finally been set free into the wild, HP is going after the iPad, Xbox 360 Update, and my short review of 'The Clash of The Titans-3D'.

First up, this week Mr. George Lucas (yes, of Star Wars fame), has made an official announcement.  There will be a new 'Star Wars' heading our way in the future.  However, don't look for a Sequel of Prequel or the Originals.  Instead, look for a 'Star Wars' based sitcom.  That's right folks, apparently if you can't beat'em, join'em.  For years now, other shows/comedians have been polking fun at the 'Star Wars' Universe.  Remember all of the Family Guy one-liners and even the 'Blue Harvest' cartoon (all of which where awesome).  Even 'Robot Chicken' has had it's fun with the series.  According to the article at the 'Chicago Tribune', Mr. Lucas will be gaining assistance from Seth Green (also from Family Guy and Robot Chicken) to bring this comedy to light.  What will Lucas do next?  Only those strong in the Force can tell...


Secondly, on April 3rd we got the hear Mr. Steve Jobs yell: "Release the...iPAD!".  Yep, it's on the streets now.  I'm sure there are a lot of happy iPad user's out there in love with their iPads.  However, I can forsee that the fun isn't over quit yet.  Now that Apple took the initiative to release the first tablet device (not including the notebook tablets that have been around for several years); it will be interesting to see how the market follows suit.  Remember when the iPhone was released?  There were several manufacturers that attempted to make 'iPhone Killers' or at best worthy competitors.  Will the same happen in the tablet market?  Most certainly.  There are smaller companies that we haven't heard much about until now (i.e.: FreeScale).  FreeScale; for example, is attempting to create a table device that runs: Android, Chromium OS, or Linux Operating Systems.  And they are trying to roll it for a $200 retail pricetag.  Check it out: FreeScale's $200 Tablet.

Also in Tablet News this week; move over Apple, here comes HP.  This week HP released details for their new tablet called the "HP Slate".  The device does look promising.  HP's tablets boasts HDMI-Out, Usb Port, Webcam, 3MP camera, and SD-Card Reader.  Some are saying it's a netbook minus the keyboard.  Check out more details at: HP Slate Details.  Keep in mind that yes, Apple made the first tablet; however, hopefully competition will jump in a follow suit.  This will help drive down some costs for end-consumers like you and me.  Competition is a good thing for us, the consumers.


Third, with the release of the new Xbox Update user's are finally getting support for external USB Storage.  Great, now what's the catch?  The USB Storage device can be no less than 1GB and the maximum is 16GB.  Also if you think this is to actually help gamers out...I'd think again.  Microsoft is currently working with SanDisk to bring a Xbox branded USB Flash Drive to consumers for $40 (8GB Flash Drive) and $70 (16GB Flash Dive).  Microsoft seems to have figured out another way to over charge for a regular item.  Way to go guys!

Lastly I thought I'd post a quick review of 'Clash of The Titans-3D'.  I broke down and finally shelled out the money for my second 3D movie (my first was 'The Christmas Carol').  I had been looking forward to seeing this flick, and since I was one of the few who missed 'Avatar' in 3D in theaters, I didn't want to miss the chance.  In short, I should have missed it.  I thought the film was great.  The story and special effects were pretty freakin' good.  And you have to love 'THE KRAKEN'!  But the use of '3D' in the film was pretty scarce for me.  During the opening of the film there was a scene were water is splashed and it looks as if you actually need to clean your glasses.

My intial thought was: 'Sweet!'.  But after that the '3D' started taking a quick backseat to what was going on in the movie.  And eventually I found myself not being 'Wowed' anymore and then the '3D' seemed to stop altogether.  I'm getting on my soapbox now...Producers and Moviemakers: If you want us to pay the extra to see your '3D' movies...Please make them '3D'.  Common sense to me.  I guess I can still hold out hope for 'Resident Evil: Afterlife' later this year which is supposed to be '3D' too.  We'll see.

But all in all, go see 'Clash of The Titans'.  But save the extra coin and see it in 2D.  You'll be glad you did.

Till next week!  Have a great one!

0 comments: