Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Restoring Data with DriveImageXML v.2.14

0 comments
Okay, the last post taught us how to make a clone image of our hard drive using DriveImage XML.  Now, I figured I'd show you how to restore data from that image.  This is actually very easy to do.

First up, run DriveImage XML.  And click on the 'Browse' button.
Keep in mind, you can restore individual files from your backup image only if you left 'Raw Mode' unchecked when creating the image file.

Once you have click the 'Browse' button, you should see a box pop up that says 'Select A Backup Image (XML file)' in it's title bar.  Simply navigate to the directory/drive you stored the backup image.  For me, it is my external hard drive.  Once you have found the image file, click the 'Open' button.

A status box will appear, and show the progress as it reads the image file.  Once it has completed, you should see a screen that resembles Windows Explorer.  This is where you will locate and extract the files you want.  Simply, navigate the file structure using this screen.  For this test, I wanted to locate my iTunes library so I can migrate my music over to my new Windows install.  So I navigated to: 'C:\Documents and Settings\*myusername\My Documents\My Music\iTunes' where I have located my music files.

Now, simply right click on the file you would like to extract and choose 'Extract'.  A box will appear asking where you'd like to extract the file to.  When you have chosen the file's destination folder simply click 'Ok'.  Now, DriveImage XML will do it's job and move the file.  When you are done, simply close the program.

When creating the image there was the 'Split Large Files' option.  If you left it checked, you can actually go into the directory where your image is saved, and burn each of those images to a DVD (or depending on size a series of DVD's) for future use.

Okay, that's it!  Happy computing!

Get DriveImage XML at: http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

0 comments: