Monday, February 18, 2013

Rooted Nexus 7 Updated to Android 4.2.2

0 comments
Nexus 7
As mentioned in my earlier post (Nexus 7 Rooted via the Nexus 7 Toolkit) I have rooted my Nexus 7 tablet using Mskip's Nexus 7 Toolkit from the XDA Developer forums.  It was an extremely easy (and quick) process.  Mskip did away the daunting and somewhat confusing aspect of rooting the Nexus 7 and he did an outstanding job.  But as my luck would have it, just a couple weeks after finally rooting my device, Google releases an OTA update to bring the device to Android 4.2.2.



What does this mean for my root access?


Well, typically when updating a rooted device using an official ROM or even an OTA update; there is a really good chance it will do away with your root access in the process of the update.  In some cases, if you have loaded a custom recovery during your initial root, the OTA update may even fail.  This is the last thing I wanted to happen, since I like using my device and not necessarily spending the time to fix my device issues.  So I purposefully waited for Mskip to update his toolkit for the Android 4.2.2 update.  Especially as some many were reporting the need to re-root after updating via the OTA push.

Tonight was the night!


So yeah, I decided to make the jump after reading on the XDA Developers forum that Mskip had updated his toolkit.  I figured why not go ahead and update?  Worse case scenario, I'd need to reroot again.  Sure, there are apps like SuperSU (which I have installed) and OTA RootKeeper which both have features that "should" technically preserve your root access while doing OTA updates.  I chose not to even worry with them, as other user's have had very limited success in either solution saving their root.

Anyways, I went ahead and ran the update.  To my surprise, my device rebooted into CWM and prompted whether I wanted to install the update.  I chose to proceed.  Then the update was installed, and towards the end of the process CWM alerted me that there was a "chance root access was lost".  And prompted me to "Fix" it.  So, I selected to "fix" it.  When the tablet rebooted, first thing I did was check my apps where I saw all of my "root-required" apps were still installed and working.  After downloading a Root Checker app for free from Google Play, it also verified that my root was preserved during the update.

That was pretty awesome.  Now keep in mind, per the XDA forums; some people have had this luck. While others have had to re-root their devices.  I'm not sure, but it almost seems like it depends on what version of the Nexus 7 Toolkit was used to initially root the device.  However, I can't state that to be gospel truth as my knowledge of the toolkit is limited to a couple of uses.

Anyways, give it a shot.  You never know.

0 comments: