Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Ubuntu 12.10 Laptop Issues

0 comments
Ubuntu
Over the past several days I have been attempting to get Ubuntu running the way I want it to on my laptop.  This has been easier said then done.  I have a Pavilion g7 laptop running Windows 8 out of the box.  Windows 8 isn't my choice of OS, but one I can live with for things like playing certain games, and producing our YouTube videos.  However, for everything else, I'd really prefer using Linux.

After disabling Secure Boot in my laptop's BIOS and imstalling Ubuntu 12.10, I had to run Boot-Repair from the Ubuntu 12.10 Live DVD to repair Grub 2 and make it bootable.  So far so good.  The issue began when trying to install my proprietary display drivers for the A8 APU my laptop is running.  The default OpenGL drivers seemed to do ok, but every once in a while the screen would flicker for a brief second.  Not a big issue, but one that made me feel like I was loosing my mind.

I followed numerous guides and tutorials on various Ubuntu blogs, YouTube videos, etc.  And every single method I used returned the same issue.  The driver would install, I could see it and test it as long as I didn't reboot.  The catch is that to fully utilize the drivers I was forced to reboot anyways.  Upon reboot, my Ubuntu setup would boot straight into a TTY session with no LightDM login or GUI of any kind.

Some methods required purging the recent changes to bring LightDM and the GUI back.  But that didn't always work; resulting in reinstalling Ubuntu about 3 times.  After the third installation, it started getting old.  After doing some research, I have found several sites mentioning that the drivers seem to work in Ubuntu 12.04.  Dropping down from Ubuntu 12.10 to 12.04 isn't a big deal to me.  I have been using the LTS releases for a long time anyways.  And with Steam now on Linux, I really want to get into some Counter Strike: Source action on my Linux install.

So, with the Ubuntu 12.04 Live DVD in hand; I plan on installing Ubuntu again and seeing if the Legacy drivers in fact work under 12.04 as many have claimed they do.  If everything goes well, I hope to be reporting back with success soon.

0 comments: