Tuesday, June 15, 2010

E3 2010 Coverage: Nintendo

0 comments
Well, I just finished watching the coverage of Nintendo's E3 conference.  And I saw several things that I am definitely going to keep my eye on. 

The first, looks as though by the end of the year one of my favorite franchises will be returning.  'Donkey Kong Country Returns' will be making it's Wii debut.  I was an avid fan of all the previous DK Country titles. 

Other titles introduced was 'Kirby's Epic Yarn' starring the lovable Kirby and 'Goldeneye' coming to the Wii.  The verdict is still out on 'Goldeneye' in my opinion.  The first for the N64 was such a great game.  And Pierce Brosnon isn't reclaiming the Bond helm this time around.  Instead it will be Daniel Craig (who did a good job in the later Bond flicks, but he wasn't the original Goldeneye).

The other big news from Nintendo: the Nintendo 3DS.  Yep, rumors were buzzing around the web for some time now boasting Nintendo's plans to make a version of the DS that portrays 3D capabilites minus having to wear 3D Glasses the see the effect.  And apparently it has paid off.  I was originally apprehensive of a 3D Nintendo DS.  Why?  For me 3D in movies is a gimmick.  I have seen several 3D movies and now choose not to see any more.  Why?  They hit you for a couple extra dollars on top of an already over priced movie ticket for the glasses.  Then when you see the film you get a few minutes of a mediocre 3D effect. (meaning 'Clash of The Titans 3D'). 

*Disclaimer: I did not see Avatar in 3D, so please no flame wars.*

Anyways, 3D in gaming is starting to slowly evolve with support from Graphics Card manufacturers and game publishers.  3D Televisions are trying to invade homes (for a small fortune).  I just don't see the perks.  However, if the price point is right for the Nintendo 3DS, a handheld device that requires no extra peripherals for the 3D effect, juts might take off.  And for Nintendo's sake, I hope it does.  Nintendo is a great company with great ideas.

On to the other Nintendo 3DS goodies.  They have added a analogue control pad above the d-pad.  There are two camera lenses on the outside shell of the unit so you can now take pictures in 3D.  I love this idea.  There is also a couple new sensors built in to the device. 

Finally, the last big Nintendo 3DS is movies.  However, during the speech it was made clear that there are no firm confirmations of movie titles coming to the 3DS; it is a good possibility it will be on it's way.  There is a demo model in their E3 booth playing several movies from Disney, Dreamworks, and Warner Bros.  Movies playing in 3D on the 3DS include 'How to Train Your Dragon'.  Also, they are boasting a handful of 3D ready titles coming to the device at launch including the former 'Project Sora'; which has developed in a new 'Kid Icarus'.

Congrats Nintendo on setting me back about 20 years in time.  I love going back to the old games.  And I hope they can pull it off successfully.  Good luck!

0 comments: