Friday, June 4, 2010

Lord of The Rings Online Goes Free-2-Play In The Fall!

0 comments
One of the biggest developments in the MMO world this week happened today.  It looks as though Turbine is extending the same type of Free-2-Play Business Model that has made it's popular 'Dungeons & Dragons Online: Ebberon Unlimited' such a success.

This fall, Turbine will be applying a very similar concept to LOTRO.  It will include the LOTRO Store as well.  If you are a current subscriber, don't worry.  Turbine has included a handful of perks for you folks as well.  I have to be honest, I've heard pretty good things about LOTRO and I am pretty excited to see Turbine head in this direction.  The game will be free to download and play.  The players can then purchase character classes and character slots, expansions, etc. from the Turbine Store.

As a fan of MMO's, I love trying out games I haven't yet explored.  However, with most of the commercial games, you have to purchase the game and the subscribe to it monthly (or similar billing choices).  And more often than not, there are more games out that pick my interest than my monthly budget can support.  Not to mention the whole time issue.  I hate paying monthly for a game that I feel I can't get my monies worth of playtime.

Worry no longer, once F2P LOTRO hits, look for my review to follow pretty quickly.  You can sign up for the F2P Beta which will start soon as well.  http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/
Also for more info on the switch in business model, check out: 
http://www.lotro.com/news/709-announcing-the-lord-of-the-rings-onlines-move-to-free-to-play-

See you in the Fall in Middle Earth!

0 comments: