Thursday, August 4, 2011

Acer Iconia a500 Tablet = An Awesome Art Tool!

0 comments
I have always had an affinity for art.  I love to draw, sketch, and when I have time I like to paint.  However, there has always been several determining factors in when I get to take part of this little hobby.  Supplies are big factor, whether or not I have a spare sketch pad or paper laying around to use.  Painting can be rather messy and get out of control pretty quick.  And a lot of times, there just isn't enough time in the day to setup an easel break out the paints and go at it.  I live a pretty busy life.

So here's my solution (and my art fix).  I use my Acer Iconia a500 android tablet.  Why not?  I used to have a Wacom Bamboo Tablet for my PC that was awesome, but required me to stay at the computer to use it.  So I started trying out some of the more Art-centric Android apps in the Google Android Market.  What did I find?

I found 2 apps that really stood out and 1 app that is nice for a quick time wasting doodle.  See below for information on all 3.
Fresco Painting App
2 min. paint of my dog in Fresco Lite

The first app I tried was Fresco Lite.  For free you have access to 2 layers, 2 filters, and 3 brushes.  You can export your drawings into the .PSD format for use in  Gimp or Photoshop.  It's a lot of fun to use and with a little skill could be used to make some cool art.  If you like it you can always purchase the full version to unlock about 30 brushes and more layers.

dscribble app
The second option I found was called dscribble Tablet.  It's functionality is somewhat limited.  However, one neat aspect of this app is that you can post your scribble to their site for others to checkout from within the app.  You can even view other people's scribbles with an in-app viewer.  For a little quick inspiration and the social aspect, dscribble is a neat app.  Plus, it's free.

Finally, the last app I tried out has been the one where I have spend most of my doodling time as of late.  Simply because it is awesome.  Both dscribble and Fresco Lite has the own unique points making them both fun art apps but both bring about the experience in a little different way.  Fresco Lite captures more of a painting aspect.  While dscribble is more like the napkin from lunch that you doodle on during a conference call.
Autodesk Sketchbook Mobile

But the app that has become my art-go-to or my tablet's almost equivalent of Photoshop or Gimp is: AutoDesk's SketchBook Mobile Express.  AutoDesk is an industry leader with software such as AutoCad, 3DSMax, Inventor, Maya and SketchBook Pro for the PC/Mac.  So why is SketchBook Mobile Express awesome?  Easy, it allows for multiple layers, has an outstanding amount of usable brushes.  The input tracking is pretty responsive, so depending on your device's specs you should have a pretty smooth experience with it.  The brush effects are so fluid you'll swear you were actually using a pencil and a sketchpad by the time your done with your first "masterpiece".  lol

There is the capability to do freehand or mirrored drawing. You can use an onscreen ruler for measuring, not to mention the control over opacity and color picking is awesome.  They have managed to streamline the UI for the app by hiding it altogether.  There is a small button at the bottom center of the screen.  When you tap that button it will open the user interface and a nice selection wheel will pop up.  You can use this selection wheel to quickly switch brushes, brush sizes, and several other options.
Sketchbook Mobile Express UI

After finding SketchBook Mobile Express in the Android Market I was sold after playing around for just a few minutes.  So I decided to buy the full version, since SketchBook Mobile Express is free.  The full version will set you back $4.99, but in my opinion is well worth it.

SketchBook pro doodle
My quick doodle in SketchBookPro
After you pick the drawing/sketching/doodling app of your choice, you could always go one more step.  I found drawing with my finger tip just didn't feel right to me.  I wanted to hold something while drawing.  So I picked up a Targus Stylus Pen from Walmart (Best Buy carries them too).  It set me about about $12.00 or so (they are $14.99 at Best Buy).  This completed my drawing toolkit on my Android Tablet.  Plus, I now have a full drawing studio wherever I take my tablet.  Sure beats lugging around a sketchpad and a box of pencils everywhere.  Plus it's a lot of fun even if you're like me and just like to doodle.

Enjoy!

0 comments: