Monday, August 15, 2011

I would use open source software if...

0 comments
"If there were an open source program that I could use to replace ****  with, I'd give it a try; but there isn't."

This is one of the most popular arguments I hear when it comes to discussing open source software with people.  And I fully agree, I mean; why would you ever decide to stop using a program you know so well but costs an arm and a leg and start using a half designed free program that will only be extremely different than what you already use.  I understand, trust me.

Now, my respomse is usually something along the lines of "Do you know for sure there isn't something free to use out there that is potentially better in any way than your current solution"?  And most of the time, people have no clue.  Another common misconception is Open Source must mean Linux right?  Nope, just because it's an open source program doesn't mean you have to become a Linux user.  Linux is considered open source, and many open source packages or applications do have Linux versions.  But there are numerous projects out there that support at least Linux and Windows (if not Mac in some cases).

If in doubt, I like to visit: http://www.osalt.com
which mean 'Open Source as an Alternative'. It is a great reference if you are tired of forking over cash for software, you can search their site for open source alternatives to commercial software packages. Looking for an alternative to Microsoft's Office check their site and find links to great applications like Libre Office or OpenOffice.Org.

So before shrugging off open source, give it a chance.

0 comments: