Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Social Media + Me = Wore Out

0 comments
The other day a friend asked me, "How come you don't post as much on Facebook as you used too?".

I had a simple answer, and it was "I don't know, I guess the new wore off".  And I suppose that's probably right.  I'm starting to see the same thing among other people on my friends list.  These are people who at one point (probably when they first signed up) would post every little detail from their life.  From what their lunch was right down to saying goodnight to their Facebook friends.  Now, we are lucky to get a 'Good Morning' from them without first being spoken too.  This isn't the case for everybody, but for some their online presence isn't nearly as potent as it once was.

Could it be that we (as user's of these social networks) are getting a little tired of it all?  Maybe some people are becoming so overwhelmed that they just decided to withdraw altogether.  Between keeping up with their favorite celebrities on Twitter, to posting their latest picture capture to Instagram, to keeping up with that long lost buddy on Facebook.  Could it be we need a digital vacation?

I'm not saying I don't understand or see the value of all of these different social networks.  Because frankly I use most of them to some extent.  And they are fun, but sometimes we need to turn off the device or unplug for a little while.  For example, not long after my friend from earlier asked why my posts have become scarce.  I simply quite posting altogether for a few days.  To my amazement, a few days later I found myself with something to say and made a post on my wall on Facebook.  And since posts have been somewhat regular, and meaningful.  Not just crap like: "lalalalala...bored" or "txt the cell" (which are both real posts people on my friends list have put up).

So if you find yourself trying to be social with an antisocial attitude take a few days away.  Trust me, Facebook and Twitter will be there when you come back.  And on that note, I need to go deny some Farmville Requests.

Have a great night!

0 comments: