Friday, September 30, 2011

Affordable Remote PC Support using Teamviewer

0 comments
I ran into an issue quite a while back in which I needed to login to someone's computer remotely.  It was a friend and they were having some issues with their computer that they just couldn't convey to me over the phone.  And honestly, I didn't feel like driving half an hour away to their house at 8:30 in the evening.  So, I decided to give Teamviewer a try.

It was by far one of the easiest remote clients I have ever used.  In my case, I simply emailed my friend the client listed on their site as 'For the Instant Customer'.  Which weighs in at 2.5MB's, so it is very small and a quick download for them.  Meanwhile, I had already downloaded the full client on my PC.  It was literally as simple as asking them to run their client and give me the 'User ID' and 'Password' numbers.






I then had to launch my Teamviewer client and choose to 'Create Session'.  In the Partner ID field you simply enter you're friend's 'ID'.  It is a numeric string that consists of three sets of three digit numbers.  Then select what type of connection you want to use.
-Remote Control
-File Transfer
-VPN

For most of my uses so far, Remote Control is the only feature I needed, so that is what I chose.  On the next screen you will be prompted to enter your friend's password which will consist of four digits.  And the password is randomized every time you launch the Teamviewer client.  This is to ensure user's have explicitly granted access themselves for the remote session.  Basically so you can't come in later and try to spy on them or do other malicious acts.

Once you have access to their system you will be able to navigate their machine as if you were in front of their physical computer.  In the past I have used a couple other services.  But this seems to work the most fluent in my situation.  In one case I was even able to troubleshoot my computer at home from a friends house via my Android Tablet running the Teamviewer client (I had set up the User ID and Password prior to leaving the house).  And it worked fine.

So if you are looking for a free way to handle remote access, this is my way of choice.  It's also cross platform.  There are clients for Windows, Mac, Linux, and even iPhone/iPad and Android!

Pros: Several different types of clients available.  I usually send my friends the 'No Install' client.  They simply download and run it.  And I use the full client to gain access to their systems.  And it's free for home user's (businesses must pay).  Cross platform support!

Cons: None that I have personally encountered.  Unless count the ad that pops up when closing the client.  But it isn't that intrusive.

To try it out for yourself visit: http://www.teamviewer.com
I give Teamviewer (as a service) 5 out of 5 stars!

0 comments: