Saturday, September 24, 2011

Google+ is open to all!

0 comments
This past week Google+ opened to the public.  Honestly, it was probably great timing on their part.  Especially since Facebook rolled out their rather crap-lousy new look this week as well.

I'm sure that enabled quite a bit of extra traffic flow into Google's Social Networking venture.  Personally, I have been playing around with Google+ for several weeks (I was invited by a friend, thanks Greg!).  And it is pretty nice.  It has a handful of cool features.  One of which I am eager to try out is the 'Hangout' feature.  It seems pretty unique sounding; in that it is basically a Live Video Chat with a group of people.  But from my understanding, he who talks the loudest takes center stage.  Which is kind of a cool concept.  I just hope it doesn't fill up with loud, crazy people trying to out talk each other for speaking rights.  :)

The other day, I had a friend ask me 'What is Google+ like?'.  And the best way I can describe would be: if Facebook and Twitter had a kid.  Tha kid may look something like Google+.  You can follow celebrities (or non-celebrities) and at the same time keep abreast of what your friends and family are doing.  That makes it pretty unique in my book.  The 'Circles' organization system is nice to play with too.  'Circles' allow you to prevent that 'How the crap do I know that person?' feeling I tend to bump into on other sites.  And I will be the first to admit it, but when I first jumped into Google+ it just felt strange.

It had that kind of creepy, ghost town feel to it.  However, in the last few weeks as more and more people have been jumping in, it now has a really nice populated feeling to it.  The mobile app is awesome as well.  It's well laid out, and it works pretty smoothly.  It is lacking the 'Hangout' feature; but everything else seems to be there (and it feels comfortable to use too, not imposing).

So, if you're looking to try out the new kid on the block, or even if you are tired of Facebook's new look; than swing by Google+.  If you do, add me (I have a link on the right side of the website).

See you there!

0 comments: