Monday, September 26, 2011

Android App Review: N.O.V.A. 2 for Android Devices

0 comments
If you are have at any point been an iOS fan/gamer you may have either seen or even played one of Gameloft's coolest titles: N.O.V.A.: Near Orbital Vanguard Alliance for the Apple's iDevices.  I actually still play this one on my iPod Touch.  It's that awesome.  So, I was more than thrilled to see that it's sequel: N.O.V.A. 2 has an Android port, and that it runs flawlessly on my Acer Iconia a500 Tablet.

If you were able to get in on their back to school sale, the game was only 99 cents on the Android Market.  It looks like it has gone back up to $6.99 recently.  But even at $6.99, this game is awesome.  The sequel to the much acclaimed N.O.V.A. brings back the on screen controls and outstanding graphics that originally made it such a hit with mobile gamers.

So, for those who don't know...What is it?  N.O.V.A. 2 is a first person shooter for Android and iOS devices.  It is based in a sci-fi world where the story picks up 6 years after the first game.  The game's intro video is amazing for a mobile game.  And the gameplay is just as awesome.  The story throws your character into the middle of a crazy civil war between human colonists and a central government with shady intentions.


In the first few minutes of actual gameplay, you get a crazy action sequence that involves some Halo style features.  The sound is much of what you'd expect from a first person shooter.  So nothing crazy there.  But where this game shines (and I can't say thing enough) is in the graphics department.  The game's visuals are amazing for a mobile device.  I use my tablet for reading, web surfing, and watching the occasional video clip on YouTube.  So to jump from those uses, into a game of this quality is awesome.

The game also includes online play (which I haven't tried yet).  I have the bad habit of playing too much multiplayer and not enough single player modes, that I try to save the multiplayer for later.  My personal preference.  So are there any downsides to the game?

In my opinion, only one.  It's the controls.  Sure, the controls are pulled off via on screen overlays.  But I tend to find myself drifting my thumbs up and down the left and right edges of my tablet.  Making it easy for me to throw my view and aim off in crazy directions.  Especially when the crap hits the fan during fire fights.




What I would like to see accomplished with the controls, is support for controllers and gamepads in Honeycomb 3.2 devices.  Other games have pulled this off (Riptide GP by Vector Unit) so I don't see why Gameloft doesn't grant us that option with N.O.V.A. 2.  That would make an already awesome mobile gaming experience all that more better.

It is obvious that games like Halo seemed to lend some inspiration the the game's developers.  Gameloft is one of those companies who are notorious for publishing games that borrow aspects heavily from other game titles (often people cite Gameloft titles to resemble the art style of games like WoW, GTA, Halo, and some others).

So when it comes right down to it.  What is the verdict on N.O.V.A. 2?  Is it a must buy or a pass?

Verdict:
-Must Buy!
For mobile gamers looking for a great looking and challenging game, check it out. Likewise, fans of First Person Shooters in general shouldn't pass this one up.

Cons:
The cons are pretty limited on this one.  I would like to see controller and gamepad compatibility.  And one issue I have read about (and seems to plague Gameloft's titles in general) is hardware support.  It will either work or it won't be compatible.  I can confirm that is runs great on the Acer Iconia a500 tablet.

Techie's Rating:




Checkout the Android Marketplace to pick this title up:
Gameloft's N.O.V.A. 2http://bit.ly/oRbmQS
Cost: $6.99 USD

Happy Surfing!

0 comments: