Saturday, September 24, 2011

Is Internet Access Up There With Air, Water, and Food on Your List?

0 comments
Apparently so, according to a recent survey.  I know a lot of surveys are crap with numbers and outcomes doctored to sway the informational data presented in the first place.  But this was too good to pass up.  A survey was conducted in which roughly 32% of the people surveyed admitted that the internet is as vital to their everyday life as our basic necessities (i.e.: water, food, air, etc.).  And most of them were in their 20's.

It's true, we are the connected generation.  But how far is to far.  I know I have days were I need to 'unplug' for a little while.  Where the constant data input that is streaming into my brain from either reading, watching, or using some for of technology becomes quite a strain.  In other words, ever have one of those days where you didn't mind if the cell phone battery died?  Yep, that's what I mean.

And it gets worse, the main culprit appears to be...*drum roll please*...Social Media.

Yep again, the survey points out that most people affected with said internet addiction check their status and social networks at least three times an hour.  (I may be guilty of this at some points in my day, but not all day).    I guess things do change after all.  I'm going to sound old here (and I'm only 29).

But when I was a kid, we had a things called television and a Nintendo.  These were our only distractions.  We didn't have 5 year old kids with smartphones taking over the world.  And if I would have said the word 'twitter' at the diner table, I would have been in big trouble...  And a 'facebook' was a school annual you got at the end of every school year, and all of your friends would sign it before summer started.

But now things are quite different.  And if you want to discuss it further, feel free to drop me a line on our Facebook page.  :)

In the meantime I will be consuming my fair share of air and internet.

To see the full article on the survey: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/22/web_more_important_than_air_water_and_food/

Happy surfing!

0 comments: