Sunday, September 25, 2011

No Netflix love for the Acer Iconia a500 yet...

0 comments
I have approached the topic of how much I love my Acer Iconia a500 tablet on this site before.  As well as how much I loath Acer's update process for the device.  In my opinion, it is a great tablet and has handled everything I have thrown at it since I purchased it.  And believe me, it gets a work out.  As a matter of fact, I'm using it right now to author this post.

My only real complaint is that Netflix has yet to rollout an app compatible with the Iconia a500 for streaming video.  And I know it isn't Acer's fault; the issues lie with Netflix themselves.  Their streaming app works on select devices.  But not my Acer tablet.  I had read on a blog about a month ago that with the Honeycomb 3.2 OTA Update, there may be a chance of getting Netflix to work.  Initially, that news was exciting.  After all, my iPod Touch can stream from Netflix, but my tablet cannot.  It just doesn't seem right.

But after trolling around some forums tonight, the general understanding seems to be that the 3.2 Update will not usher in Netflix to us.  Time will tell when the update finally hits (it has been delayed several times now); however, I'm not getting my hopes up.  As of right now, you can get it Netflix to run.  But only on a rooted and possibly cutom ROM'd Iconia a500.  And I'm not sure if I am ready to go quite that far yet.

But if Netflix doesn't get on the ball, then I may be heading down the road to rooting.  Rest assured, if rooting becomes an option for me;  I will document my experience here for future reference.  I would hope it doesn't come to this though.

0 comments: