Saturday, October 1, 2011

Mortal Kombat is returning to the big screens...Here we go again!

0 comments
Noob says "Seriously?!"
Remember the Mortal Kombat Legacy webseries that was released weekly during this summer; directed by Kevin Tancharoen?  Did you watch any of it?  I did.  And I watched every episode (not always when it was first released, but I kept up with it nonetheless).

The series started off strong with the opening couple of episodes.  And I had really high hopes for it.  At least until the middle of the series.  Some liberties were took that just didn't feel right to me (and I am a long time fan of the game franchise).  And then the animated episodes felt like I was watching a cut scene from the newest Mortal Kombat game.  I remember watching the pilot teaser Mr. Tancharoen shot to pitch his concept.  And it seemed to try and draw the Mortal Kombat story into somewhat of a realistic world.  Where Sonya and Jax employ Scorpion to go on a manhunt as part of a "deal" he was cutting with law enforcement.

So after watching the pilot, I was pretty excited to see a fresh take on the story.  But I didn't expect to see a couple of cool episodes and the rest a weird form of teasers from the new game.  For me the best episodes were the beginning, the couple around SubZero and Scorpion, and the finale with Cyrax and Sektor.

So long story short, New Line Cinema has decided to hire to Ken Tacharoen to resurrect the film franchise.  So hold on to your hats, there is no telling what we're going to see.  One thing that has been mentioned is it will be a reboot and not be attached to the existing film or web series.

0 comments: