Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Windows 8: Where is the Start Menu?

0 comments
A few weeks ago Microsoft made the Windows 8 Developer Preview available to the world.  One of the biggest changes coming to Windows 8 is it's user interface.  Swapping the default desktop that everyone has come to know and love; they will be moving forward with the 'Metro' interface.  A quick glance at it will bring to mind the user interface for the new Windows Phones.  I've ranted a little about this in the past, concerning how the interface is probably fine for touch based devices and tablets that will run Windows 8.  But not necessarily for the desktop experience.

So it's no surprise that Microsoft would eventually open up about the new interface and tell us why they decided to change it up.  In simple terms, they found out that Start Menu usage dropped around 11% since Windows Vista hit the world with a thud.  The same thing has been discovered with Windows 7 and that supposedly more user's now than ever are pinning shortcuts to their taskbars.  So, in the way that big corporate American business often think; this usage drop means you have to reinvent the wheel and do something completely different.

In my opinion, I think they were just looking for something to change it up with so they can make a splash with news, headlines, and garner attention from the world.  I interact with people from various industries through the course of every week in my line of work.  And I have never noticed any of these people 'pinning' applications or shortcuts to their taskbars.  

Obviously, Microsoft's aim was to 'dumb down' the user interface so much that using it becomes almost mindless.  Personally, at this rate I have no intention of upgrading to Windows 8 (and it's still far enough out, I could change my mind).  But with this interface and Microsoft's point of view being that their user's are mindless drones who need big square tiles to click on to stay happy...No thanks.  That might be what helps me jump full on into Linux.

And FYI, Microsoft is also claiming that there has been a 54% drop in Control Panel usage as well.  So, I wouldn't count on a common sense place to make hardware/software setting changes in Windows 8 either (just my prediction).  If you want to read the full article swing by (there are more stats listed there as well):

0 comments: